After spending practically a day in the air, I arrived in Tacna on the 20th! It's very different from Oregon - it's kind of like a really really dry California. I was met at the airport by my host mom and a group of Rotarians. After going home and resting a bit, I went to my very first Rotary meeting. Here the men meet on Monday and the women meet on Friday. The meetings are somehow the same as they are in America what with the feeling of friendship and the cracking of jokes. They were all really nice to me and even sang happy birthday to me and gave me presents. It was very unexpected and very kind of them. Today I worked on unpacking, and then I visited the market and my future school. The market is an open air market and is comprised of various small stalls stuck together. It was very fun to visit, as was my school. It's an all girls Catholic school, and right now all the girls my age are away on their class trip to Machu Picchu. The school is very pretty, and there are all ages of girls who go there. My mother and I went to the school to pick up my sister Micaela, who is 7, and I met two of the teachers. I've had a great first two days, and I really like my family. They are very kind and funny, and are really patient and help me with my Spanish. Speaking of Spanish, I'm definitely picking it up with every passing second. I can understand most everything as long as it's not really fast, and while I usually slaughter the various tenses, for the most part I think I get my meaning across. I'm having a great time so far, and I'm looking forward to learning more and more everyday.
So chau (that's the informal way of saying adios) for now, mis amigos!
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment