Saturday, April 27, 2013

This life of mine

When I last posted, I had just finished my first week at the UPT. I've been there for about a month now, and I'm really enjoying it. My classes are interesting and my classmates are awesome.

We're cool. 
 As part of the tourism career path, we study business administration, the fundamentals of tourism, and other serious courses. But we also get to study really fun things, like bartending.
In bartending class I get to light drinks on fire every week.
I also learn how to make pretty drinks like this one, the Blue Hawaiian.
 I've also started playing soccer for the UPT. The university-wide sports competition, the Olimpiades, starts in about 2 weeks, and I'm on the soccer team for FACEM, my faculty. We'll be competing against all the other faculties. It's really fun, and I hope we win!.

My life has been pretty normal lately, just with university, soccer, family, and friends. I went back to colegio a few days ago with the rest of my class for the celebration of the colegio's anniversary. There were dances, speeches, and poems, and it was nice to see the teachers and younger girls again. It's crazy to think that I was there just a few months ago, finishing up school and getting ready for my Baile de Promocion. It's ridiculous how quickly the time has flown by.

The dances were really pretty and very well done. 
Some of the promocion, together again.
 I also found a kitten on the street. When I found him he had an eye infection that had left his eyes completely glued shut with some sort of goo. He was really weak and kept running into walls because he couldn't see anything. I took him home, cleaned him up and fed him, then kept him for a couple of days while he rested up. A few days later, when I dropped him off at the shelter, he was a feisty, happy little kitten again.

I named him Goober. He liked to meow at the camera. 
I've also started working with a local tour company here in Tacna as a translator. They take me all around Tacna on their tours, and I translate for the international tourists that don't understand English. So far I've translated for a group of Taiwanese tourists, and a man from New Zealand who was on his way to Cusco. It's fun to meet new people, and I love being able to see and learn more about Tacna. I've gone to Calientes, Calana, and Miculla, along with the city of Tacna itself.

 My life has been pretty normal, but I'm having such a nice time. I'm only going to be in Tacna for about two more weeks, and then I'm going off to Pucallpa for about a month. Then, before I know it, I'll be back in the US. I can't believe how quickly this year has flown by. I've made incredible friends, and I absolutely love my family. I'm going to miss everyone so much, and I'll always remember everyone I've met and everything I've learned during my time here in Tacna.

3 comments:

  1. you translate for the people that don't understand english? i am impressed, although that seems a little sad for the new zealander ;)

    ReplyDelete